Sunday, June 12, 2011

Hot hot heat

Welcome to summer!

It rolled in here without any warning and is here to stay. I've heard Korean summer goes something like this...right now it's the rainy season, so will rain for 3-4 days, be nice for 3-4 day, rain, etc. until sometime in July when the sticky, humid heat will set in, after which it will be typhoon season, and finally we'll reach the respite of autumn. It sounds like some crazy weather, but really it's just nice to wear dresses and flip flops and get a bit of a tan, however scandalous that might be...

So for this post, I'd just like to wrap up a few odds and ends...

First, I want to add an addendum to my earlier blog on the drinking culture here. I received some responses about it and just want to clarify...while there is a distinct culture here and there can be social pressure, especially in work cultures, not everyone is just drinking all the time, most drinking is "healthy" and responsible, and there are a good amount of people who don't drink and it's ok for them. I actually have a handful of friends who don't drink for various reasons and they are A-OK! Now that that's settled...

I just had a visitor! My lovely sister, Chelsee! She was here for about two weeks and it was soooo very good to see her. With the help of my friends the Hong's, I really had a chance to experience Korea and had a pretty good time. We saw my city, the sea, the mountains, a couple cities on the coast, the DMZ, and, of course, spent a few days in Seoul. We also tried lots of Korean food, got a chance to see some traditional music, visited my school, and met up with my friends. Outside of the fact that she got a little sick on the last evening, it was a good time. The best part though was just spending time with her. When she left it made me a bit home sick, but that's not necessarily a bad thing and it always comes and goes. For those of you who have Facebook, you can check some pictures there.

Lastly, a month or so ago, I went our bi-annual "culture experience trip", which is part of the program I work through. We went to Jeju Island of the southern coast of the Korean peninsula. It's more-or-less the Hawaii of Korea. I was a little skeptical about how amazing it would be, but I was impressed and pleasantly surprised. I'll just leave you with some pictures of that to give you an idea of what it's like.

Keep it cool!




No comments:

Post a Comment